Tuesday, February 1, 2011
ZAMBIA TOURISM ANNOUNCES WORLD-WIDE CONTEST
Contact: Peggy Healy/Virginia Haynes
212-209-3915; 551-579-2375 (cell)
ZAMBIA TOURISM ANNOUNCES WORLD-WIDE CONTEST:
PUT ZAMBIA ON THE A-LIST OF TOURIST DESTINATIONS
& WIN A $30,000 SAFARI FOR TWO.
LUSAKA, Zambia (January 28, 2011) The Tourism Board of the central African nation of Zambia is launching a world-wide contest to come up with a new slogan and a new logo that will brand Zambia as a must-see tourist destination. The contest is open to anyone on the planet over 18 years old*, so any adult reading this has a chance to win. Just come up with a snappy slogan or a great logo design for Zambia Tourism. Prize for each winner is a 15-day, $30,000 trip for two to Zambia.
Responding to market research, the Board is looking to replace its old tagline, “Zambia, the Real Africa”. Goal? Reposition the country as a bucket list destination. Zambia (formerly Northern Rhodesia) is one of the most unspoiled and beautiful countries in all of Africa. It’s best known for its abundant wildlife, classic safaris, vibrant culture and Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World.
The ReBrand Zambia Tourism Contest launches January 28 and closes on February 25, 2011. A shortlist of five will be selected and all entrants and the public will be invited to vote. A panel that includes celebrity judges will select the final two winners. Prize winners will be announced on Zambia Tourism’s website and Facebook page (Zambia Tourism) on March 21.
Winners will go on a 15-day, all-expenses paid trip to Zambia for two, a tour that includes international flights, an authentic safari experience at three vaunted wildlife parks, a visit to Victoria Falls and a range of activities options: Elephant walk, anyone? Or, for great fly fishing, how about duking it out with the African tiger fish on the Zambezi River? Adventurers can go bungee jumping, white water rafting and much much more. Get in the swim and enter. Details follow.
The contest can be followed on Facebook (Zambia Tourism) and on Twitter @Zambia_Tourism For more information visit competition page of Zambia Tourism.
*Except staff and consultants of the Zambia Tourism Board, the Tourism Council of Zambia, the World Bank Group, the Department for International Development and their immediate families.
Love to Travel? Inspired by Africa?
Here’s a unique chance to re-brand Zambia as a tourism destination
and win a stunning 15 day safari.
Zambia, land of abundant wildlife, majestic scenery, tranquil lakes, vibrant culture, friendly people, bush adventure and home to the famous Victoria Falls – one of the “Seven Natural Wonders of the World”.
The Zambia Tourism Board needs your help in creating a new brand for marketing Zambia as a tourism destination. This will include a slogan and logo to replace the existing “Zambia – the Real Africa”. The slogan should be in English and appeal to a broad, global audience. There are no word limits on the slogan but short and snappy is recommended. Visit www.zambiatourism.com to explore what Zambia has to offer. Closing date is 25 February 2011.
There are two prizes. One prize will be awarded for the best slogan and the other for the best logo. Each prize is a lavish 15 day Zambian safari for two that includes:
• A visit to the mighty Victoria Falls
• An authentic safari experience at three top wildlife parks
• Accommodation, food & beverages, activities and government taxes
• International flights from listed travel hubs
• Domestic travel and transport
• Activity options may include – safari drives, walking safaris with expert guides, canoeing on the Zambezi, walking with elephants or lions, white water rafting, fishing the Zambezi for the fighting tiger fish, bungee jumping, cultural shows, village visits and much more.
• Farewell Gala Dinner in the capital Lusaka with the Tourism Team of Zambia
How to Enter…
Email your suggested slogan and/or logo (maximum 1 MB), along with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 February 2011. You can enter up to 3 suggestions but only one entry per email please.
• Your name and contact details (email, address, telephone)
• Your nationality and country of residence
• Whether you have visited Zambia before
• We would love to keep you updated on Zambia’s tourism news and will add your details to our database unless you say otherwise
Follow the competition…on Facebook (Zambia Tourism) and on Twitter @Zambia_Tourism
Read research on Zambia’s tourism by Cornell University student team
A shortlist of five entries will be selected and you will receive an email asking you to vote. The final decision will be made by the panel of judges.
Terms and Conditions…
• This competition is open to individuals aged 18 or over, from any country in the world.
• Staff and consultants of the Zambia Tourism Board, the Tourism Council of Zambia, the World Bank Group, the Department for International Development and their immediate families, are not eligible to enter.
• Entrants agree to relinquish all copyright to the Zambia Tourism Board.
• Prize conditions:
o Prizes to be taken prior to July 2012 (excluding the following periods - August, September, Christmas week 2011)
o Prizes are non transferable
o Only one prize will be given if the same person wins in both categories
o International flights will be included from the following hubs – any EU capital, New York, Washington DC, Dubai, Johannesburg, Cairo, Nairobi.
• It is not guaranteed that the winning slogan/logo will be used for Zambia’s tourism marketing.
• 25 February 2011 – competition closes at midnight in Zambia (CAT time zone).
• 14 March 2011 – the five short listed entries will be displayed on the website and the entrants & members of the public will be invited to vote. The outcome will be viewed as market research and will not necessarily be the ultimate winner of the competition.
• 21 March 2011 - prize winner(s) will be informed and the results announced on the ZTB website/facebook.
To help Zambia’s tourism find the perfect solution, please pass this onto your friends, family, colleagues, clients – in fact to everyone you know! You could also share with your FACEBOOK friends and tweet it on TWITTER.
The prizes have been generously donated by
o South Luangwa – Bushcamp Company, Norman Carr Safaris, Sanctuary Retreats, Robin Pope Safaris
o Lower Zambezi – Baines River Camp, Chiawa Camp, Chongwe River Camp, Kanyemba Lodge, Sausage Tree Camp
o Kafue – Mukambi Safari Lodge, Wilderness Safaris
o Livingstone – Islands of Siankaba, River Club, Royal Livingstone Hotel
o Lusaka – Protea Hotel Arcades
o Proflight Zambia & Sefofane for internal flights
o Zambian Ground Handlers – coordination
We thank our sponsors for providing these prizes: Zambia’s tourism companies, the Zambia Tourism Board, the Department for International Development, and the World Bank Group.